Panem et Circenses

Panem et Circenses

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Crescia al Formaggio

Ingredients: Asiago Cheese, Water, Eggs, Olive Oil, Bread Flour, Dry Milk, Sugar, Gluten, Salt, and Yeast.
Asiago is an Italian cow's milk cheese that is often grated into salads, soups, pastas, and sauces. The only "official" Asiago cheese is produced in the alpine area of the town of Asiago, in the Veneto region of Italy. The production area is strictly defined: it starts from the meadows of the Po Valley and finishes in the Alpine pastures between the Asiago Plateau and the Trentino's highlands. Many imitations of Asiago are produced elsewhere using different techniques and cultures that produce a cheese of a similar aspect but with a totally different taste. 
Sadly the only Asiago cheese that I could get my hands on did not come from the romantic mountains of Italy, but from the charming little state of Wisconsin. I found a website where I could buy official Asiago Cheese from Italy for $9.49 for 8oz, but for now this college guy will have to be happy with my Wisconsin alternate.
The Crescia al Formaggio is said to be a great picnic bread, so my lunch for this afternoon consists of cold chicken, grapes, and my Asiago bread.  Images of the Italian countryside are brought to mind as I enjoy this simple but amazing feast.
“Bread, milk and butter are of venerable antiquity. They taste of the morning of the world.” - Leigh Hunt (1784-1859)



No comments:

Post a Comment