Panem et Circenses

Panem et Circenses

Saturday, January 7, 2012

The First Loaf - Homestyle White Bread

I finally was ready to begin baking my very first loaf of bread! I skipped past all the introduction sections of my cookbook to the first page on how to make your first loaf.  (I will go back and read everything I was supposed to later)  I carefully measured out all the ingredients into the baking pan, set the dials to the setting I wanted, and pushed the button to start.  My bread machine came to life and began to knead my bread right in front of my eyes.  I don’t know if a baker from the 19th century would roll over in his grave or be super jealous watching my machine mix and shape my happy little loaf, but for me I was simply thrilled.  I had set the dials for a quick bake which meant I would have a loaf of hot bread ready in less than an hour!  As I patiently waited for the bread to bake I cleared out a shelf in my cupboard especially for my new ingredients.  Before long the magical smell of baking bread was moving about the apartment and I began to salivate.  I know you should wait a little while for bread to cool after it is done baking but I really couldn’t wait any longer.  I sliced some rather nice sized pieces of bread off the fresh loaf then lathered each slice with butter and homemade plum jam and my friends and I were in sheer heaven.  Before long the entire loaf had disappeared.

"I am going to learn to make bread tomorrow. So you may imagine me with my sleeves rolled up, mixing flour, milk, saleratus, etc., with a deal of grace. I advise you if you don't know how to make the staff of life to learn with dispatch." - Emily Dickinson, American poet (1830-1886)

No comments:

Post a Comment