Panem et Circenses

Panem et Circenses

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Zopf

Zopf is a traditional egg bread of Switzerland.  I learned while making this loaf that breads created with eggs are considered by many to be sacred.  Traditionally each culture that worships has a pain du sacresant that usually contains eggs.  So as I eat my Zopf of Switzerland I am reminded that each day is full of new blessings and that even a humble slice of bread can be eaten with reverence and thanksgiving.  Sadly this was not the first loaf of Zopf that I tried.  I got in a hurry and tried to bake a smaller loaf on my Express-bake setting and ended up with a very cute loaf that inside was nothing but uncooked dough.  Patience is a virtue best learned by waiting.  In the future I need to remember that I cannot cut corners and still hope to achieve the best results.  I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday afternoon. A friend and I are eating our Zopf (Isn’t that just fun to say?) for Sunday dinner.  I used the bread to make grilled chicken sandwiches to accompany warm bowls of vegetable soup.
  “All sorrows are less with bread.” - Miguel de Cervantes, Spanish author. (1547-1616)

No comments:

Post a Comment