Panem et Circenses

Panem et Circenses

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Orange Poppyseed Bread with Orange Syrup


Ingredients:  Poppy Seeds, Orange Zest, Fresh Orange Juice, Milk, Eggs, Vegetable Oil,  Sugar, Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt.

I learned two new words today:  Macerate: Soften or break up by soaking in a liquid. Meld: To combine.  In order to make this stunning bread I had to macerate the poppyseeds and milk together so that the flavors could meld before making the dough.  After the bread was finished baking I poked holes into the loaf and then poured the delicious orange syrup over the entire loaf and allowed it to soak in and absorb into the bread before serving.  This bread is the new favorite of two of my most dedicated bread fans.

And speaking of these two fans . . .

Last night my roommate took his girlfriend on a romantic journey of memories and special moments around town.  Their adventure led them to the Providence Lighthouse that we have here in town. (If you are confused as to why we have a lighthouse here in the middle of the southwest desert, don't worry, we are too)  As they climbed the stairs to the top of the tower a mass mob of friends and I assembled beneath the lighthouse and began to light lanterns (much like the ones in Tangled) and send them up into the night sky.  As dozens of these soft glowing lanterns filled the heavens over Cedar, he got down on his knee and asked her to marry him. . . .  She said yes.

"All those days chasing down a daydream
All those years living in a blur
All that time never truly seeing
Things, the way they were
Now she's here shining in the starlight
Now she's here, suddenly I know
If she's here it's crystal clear
I'm where I'm meant to go
And at last I see the light
And it's like the fog is lifted
And at last I see the light
And it's like the sky is new
And it's warm and real and bright
And the world has somehow shifted
All at once, everything is different
Now that I see you, now that I see you"

- Tangled

I served the Orange Poppyseed Bread with Orange Syrup at the after-party at my place.



Good times. Good times.

1 comment:

  1. Love the poem, the bread sounds wonderful, and what a romantic proposal !

    ReplyDelete