Panem et Circenses

Panem et Circenses

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Suzanne's Easter Bread with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:  Dried Figs, Dried Pineapple, Dries Prunes, Half-and-Half, Eggs, Butter, Flour, Sugar, Salt, and Yeast.

I must say that this bread looked more like a cake than anything else, but is sure tasted wonderful.  As I have looked at these recipes for spring breads I have discovered that many of them have certain ingredients in common, namely: dried fruit, lemons, and cardamom.   Since I didn't use all of the dried fruits I will have a tasty snack to munch on while I am hiking this weekend.   I am not super fond of the cream cheese frosting, but I don't know what elese I would have used.  I just have never been a huge fan of cream cheese except on bagels.  I put the frosting on the bread a little too soon so it started melting down the sides.  Make sure your loaf is cool before you start making your frosting.

Tonight I am making candied lemon peels to use in tomorrow's recipe.  While making the peels I somehow managed to splash some of the hot lemony syrup on my face.  I probably will have a welt come tomorrow, but at least the candied lemons taste fantastic.

He is risen, he is risen!
Tell it out with joyful voice:
he has burst his three days' prison;
let the whole wide earth rejoice:
death is conquered, man is free,
Christ has won the victory.

Come, ye sad and fearful-hearted,
with glad smile and radiant brow!
Lent's long shadows have departed;
Jesus' woes are over now,
and the passion that he bore
sin and pain can vex no more.

Come, with high and holy hymning,
hail our Lord's triumphant day;
not one darksome cloud is dimming
yonder glorious morning ray,
breaking o'er the purple east,
symbol of our Easter feast.

He is risen, he is risen!
He hath opened heaven's gate:
we are free from sin's dark prison,
risen to a holier state;
and a brighter Easter beam
on our longing eyes shall stream.

 - Cecil Frances Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment